Tuesday, June 7, 2011

On Garden Tubs and Cleaning Bathrooms

I finally kicked lazy to the curb and cleaned my bathroom this morning. I jokingly say that if Family Services were to come to my door, they would remove my children because of the condition of the bathroom. Do you have to VACUUM dog hair from your bathroom? I do. Is your vanity covered with a nice film of hairspray and other hair products? Mine is. The boys' bathroom is kept somewhat clean, as it is also the hall bathroom. But the master bath? I think David and I have a silent game of who can ignore it the longest...

When we bought this house in '98, one of the delightful features of the Master Bath was the elegant garden tub. I pictured hanging a small shabby chic chandelier from the ceiling, and having romantic evenings with candles, bubble bath and champagne. That hasn't exactly happened. The only moaning and groaning the tub has seen was the few hours I spent laboring in it with Conor. In fact, I think it has been mostly used for bathing children and washing the dog.

There is no romance in cleaning a separate garden tub and shower! There is no sexy in wearing your "cleaning clothes" with a bottle of Clorox Clean Up in one hand, and a ratty old cleaning rag in the other!

In my next home, the Master Bath will not have a bathtub. It will have a huge tiled shower with double shower heads and a place to sit. It will have a seamless entry, so that I can easily roll on up in my wheelchair--because I'll be in my 80's before I could save for a bath like that...

Isn't that romantic?

1 comment: